Are you considering making aesthetic adjustments to your garage door to improve the appearance of your home?
Steel, glass, fiberglass, and aluminum are just a few options for garage door materials. Aside from apparent physical differences, different garage door compositions may be more suited to your budget, surroundings, and personal preferences.
Do you want a glass garage door installed for your home? In this article, you will learn about the pros and cons of installing glass garage doors.
Advantages of Glass Garage Doors
Glass is an excellent garage door material due to its:
- Natural light: Dark places make it more difficult to work, and garages frequently lack adequate natural or artificial lighting. A sequence of floor-to-ceiling windows helps to let in more light, while frosted, tinted, or mirror glass can let in light while keeping privacy.
- Design options: Although glass garage doors appear to be something that can only be done in a modern home, they are more adaptable than you may assume. Door makers provide a variety of colors, coatings, and patterns to pick from that complement various types of homes.
- Versatility: Overhead glass doors are popular not just in garages, but they may also be deployed to improve a mixed-use area.
Disadvantages of Glass Garage Doors
Take a look at the following drawbacks of glass garage doors:
- Cost: Although the precise number varies depending on what you’re comparing it to, the main truth is that a glass garage door will cost around twice as much as a standard steel garage door. This is mostly due to the materials and manufacturing procedures utilized to build the doors, as well as the extra care used during delivery and installation.
- Insulation: Windows, even when equipped with insulated glass, are less energy-efficient than conventional materials. And, while windows enable heat to enter through solar radiation, this may or may not be beneficial depending on your environment.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Every garage door needs regular cleaning, but large glass windows may accumulate dust and debris on the exterior and seem quite untidy very fast, especially if they have a mirror or tint surface.
- Resistance to impact: Glass is more prone to breaking compared to steel and other metals which dent or flex upon impact. While tempered glass does not provide an additional safety risk, it may be more vulnerable to physical impacts such as small animals or basketballs, among other things.
Design Your Door with New England Overhead Door
Do you need a professional to install a glass garage door in your home? New England Overhead Door has been installing garage doors since 1952. To give excellent service and knowledge to our customers, our experienced and highly trained employees remain up to speed on the latest techniques and use the finest tools for our projects.
Our website has a price list for each type of garage door service you require, including replacement, repair, and diagnostics. We’re also available 24/7 for any emergency repair you may need, as we understand that door malfunctions can happen at any time of the day.
Contact us right away to discover more about what New England Overhead Door has to offer!